Whew! I waded through 2 hours of parent teacher interviews today!
All good for the most part too.
It was a testament to just how VERY different my two oldest boys are, (I know all siblings are different, but as those who know them would agree, these two really are VERY different!) that out of the four teachers I saw from their stage, that only 1 actually realized they were brothers. The other three were astounded!!! They thought they were really good friends with the same last name.
No, actually, I am wrong. One teacher had found out at the beginning of this week, when she picked up Spindle's sports jacket and it had Roly's name on it. When she asked if he had bought it from Roly (we have a swap shop for uniforms at school), he said "No, Roly is my brother!"
LOL! I find that hilarious!!
Now, ages and ages ago I was challenged to share several things about myself.
Here goes (to the three people who still read my slightly abandoned blog! :)
1. When I was about 12 I ate a side salad in a Kenyan hotel. (disobeying my parents, who always told us to leave a salad, 'cause we didn't know if it had been washed well.
As a result, I developed Hepatitis A, and boy was I sick. I turned yellow, even my eyeballs jaundiced and I missed a bunch of school. I remember that I was so weakened by it that it took me three months before I could kick my feet up to my bottom (it's a kid thing!) The up side was that I was given a ton of American candy and delicious instant porridge sachets by well wishers.
2. That first night that I began to feel sick with the hepatitis, I was so hot. I quietly went and lay on the cold tiles in the bathroom floor, without telling my parents, because in my fevered delirium, I thought God was punishing me for being bad!!!
3.My first language was actually 2 languages. I learnt English at home, but all my friends were Somali, so I was fluent in child's Somali!
4. My longest crush on someone was on Boris Becker. The mere thought of the young German tennis player made me wobbly at the knees! I had a photo album made up of him that went everywhere with me. *blush* I even practised hitting and serving the ball like him for hour in our backyard!
5. My favorite genre of books is crime fiction. Every book I read is so formulated, I can pretty much tell what will happen in the end, but I still read them! This is a conundrum because any real life crime has me deeply distressed, and I pray regualrly for people I hear about in the news who have been kidnapped etc. The thought of crimes being perpetrated on thousands of children around the world that I cannot assist keeps me awake at night. I wonder if it is maybe the closure that a crime book brings in the end, the baddie getting his justice that keeps me reading.
6. I had my first car accident whilst driving a Road Safety van with the words Road Safety emblazoned on every available space. I was in the wrong lane to turn right on a roundabout, and hence I crashed into a little old lady doing the right thing! Passersby chuckled unsympathetically at me, standing there in my Road Safety uniform by my Road Safety vehicle. Even the police cracked a grin! It was a humiliating experience. I recieved a Christmas card later that year from the dear old lady which began 'We met accidentally....
7. My dream in high school was to be a photo journalist. You know, like for National Geographic! I worked on the Yearbook committee and all! I applied to and even got a place at Pepperdine University, which I only just realized in in Malibu! LOL!
But it was not part of God's plan!
8. My wedding ring has not fitted on my finger for years. For maybe 4 years! I have only managed to get it on in the last month. Yeah!